Make some of these delicious sweet potato cakes and all you need to do is add some mixed salad and a simple dressing for lunch OR what about throwing them into a container with some greens ready to steam for lunch. Easy as.
· 500g or 3-4 small sweet Potato
· 400g Tuna chunks in spring water, drained
· 2 spring onions
· 1 brown onion
· 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
· 1 egg & 1 egg white, lightly beaten
· 1/2 cup of quinoa flakes
· 2 tbsp chopped parsley
· 2 tsp sweet paprika
· 1 tsp cumin
· Salt & pepper to season
· 2 tablespoons quinoa flour (suitable for gluten free)
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
1) Boil 2 cups water in a saucepan.
2) Wash and chop sweet potato into small slices and steam in boiling water for 5 – 8 minutes until soft.
3) Drain and place in a large bowl for 5 minutes to cool.
4) Mash potatoes well using a vegetable masher or a fork.
5) Dice brown onion and spring onion, then with garlic cook in a medium frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil until soft.
6) Once onions are cooked add to the mashed potato.
7) Meanwhile add tuna, quinoa flakes, parsley and spices to the mash mixture.
8) Mix through with hands until well combined. (Cool sweet potato well so little hands don’t burn).
9) Form mixture into small patties.
10) Pour quinoa flour into a shallow bowl and then coat each patty with a small amount of flour.
11) Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan and cook for 5 – 6 minutes on each side. (TIP: Use 2 pans to prevent waiting OR pop the first of patties into a warm oven covered with foil.)
Serve with a side salad or blanched green vegetables and drizzle with a little sweet chilli sauce and/or natural yoghurt.