Easter treats have been a hot topic of conversation in our clinics this week. So Lauren decided to create a Hot Cross Bun recipe with a healthier twist.
Hot Cross Buns (makes 6)
1 cup greek yoghurt
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
¾ cup dried fruit (any)
1 tbsp raw castor sugar
1tbsp all spice
1. Preheat oven to 190’C
2. Using a spoon, gently combine all ingredients in a bowl. TIP: If mixture is sticky, add extra flour to mixture 1tsp at a time until you form a soft dough
3. Lightly flour a clean chopping board, tip dough onto the board and knead for 1 minute
4. Cut dough into 6 even pieces and roll into balls.
5. Place dough balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper, leaving a couple of centimetres between each one.
6. Glaze: lightly brush with your choice of maple syrup, honey or jam
7. Crosses: mix 2-3 teaspoons of flour with a few drops of water. Place mixture into a zip lock bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe crosses onto the top of the dough balls.
8. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Want to mix it up? Try these variations:
Berry and white choc: Swap 3/4 cup dried fruit for ¼ cup chocolate ‘bits’ and ½ cup blueberries or raspberries (fresh or frozen)
Apple and Cinnamon: Swap 3/4 cup dried fruit for ¾ cup tinned apple and swap 1tbsp of all spice for 2tsp all spice and 1tsp cinnamon