This lovely recipe comes from one of our amazing Balgowlah clients Pam. Pam reports that it absolutely delicious! Pam has been enjoying eating the soup as a good way to pack more veggies in. Thanks for sharing Pam 🙂
450g pumpkin, peeled, chopped (oven roasted)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 brown onion, chopped (or 1 leek, sliced)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Pepper to taste
4 slices grainy sourdough bread
1 small avocado, sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200oC / 180oC fan-forced. Place cut pumpkin in a bowl and mix with a little olive oil. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and add pumpkin. Bake for 40 minutes or until pumpkin is golden and tender.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion / leek and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrot, lentils, stock, 2 cups water, tomatoes and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add warm cooked pumpkin and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and puree using a stick blender.
5. Meanwhile, toast bread and top with sliced avocado. Sprinkle soup with parsley, dollop with yoghurt and serve with avocado toast.
Kilojoules: 1,842kJ Total fat: 16g Dietary fibre: 12.8g
Calories: 440cal Saturated fat: 3.6g Sodium: 958mg
Protein: 23.2g Carbohydrates: 45.3g Calcium: 138mg
Sugars: 15.2g Iron: 5.1mg