Now that Spring has well and truely sprung, it is that time of year again when the weather is warmer, the days are getting longer and plenty of delicious and nutritious vegetables are back in season!
Make the most of the amazing and abundant produce this Spring with Kat’s favourite Spring Couscous Salad.
Why we love this recipe:
Asparagus, beans & spinach: Super high in prebiotic fibre, which comes from plants that feed the healthy bacteria in our gut. Healthy gut bacteria will fight off sickness and improve your mood! (Who doesn’t want to be happier?!)
Chickpeas: Not only will these give you a good dose of plant based protein, but legumes have also been shown to slow down ageing and increase longevity. Chickpeas especially are also high in zinc, helpful in recovering from stress (sickness or exercise induced).
Pearl couscous: Also known as Israeli couscous, these low GI grains give the body and brain sustained energy. Not only are they a top fuel for exercise but help decrease sugar cravings by nourishing the brain.
Recipe: Spring Couscous Salad
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
· 1 cup pearl couscous (dry)
· 1 red capsicum
· 1 yellow capsicum
· 2 cups green beans, chopped
· 1 bunch asparagus
· 1 red onion, diced
· 1 lemon, juiced
· 2 tbls olive oil
· 2 tsp Moroccan seasoning
· 2 tbls chopped flat-leaf parsley
· 2 x tins chickpeas
· 40g feta cheese
· 100g green olives, pitted, chopped
· 4 cups spinach leaves
1. Place couscous into a large bowl and pour over 2 cups of boiling water.
2. Leave in the bowl for 15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed. Fluff through with a fork once cooked.
3. Transfer into a large mixing bowl, set aside to cool.
4. While you are waiting, sauté the red onion in a frying pan on medium heat for 2 minutes.
5. Quickly stir through all other vegetables for 5 minutes.
6. Mix juice, oil, seasoning and parsley and pour over couscous.
7. Stir through drained chickpeas, vegetables, spinach leaves and olives.
8. Crumble feta over the top and serve!
· GLUTEN FREE – Replace couscous with quinoa
· DAIRY FREE – Replace feta cheese with sprinkling of pepita seeds
· FOR MORE FIBRE – Replace olives with 1 avocado