Warm up without bulking up. In winter we often give ourselves permission to overeat for comfort & warmth. However you don’t need to admit defeat to the dreaded winter weight gain. Bulk up meals with vegetables and legumes like lentils & beans. They take your digestive system a long time to break down, leaving you feeling all warm and satisfied!
This very healthy curry is low in fat, high in filling fibre thanks to the split peas and packs a punch of flavour from the herbs & spices that will help fight off colds & flus. Add more chilli if you like a kick.
Pumpkin & Chickpea Curry
Makes: 4 servings – Prep time: 15 mins – Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 3cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup pumpkin diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- ½ bunch celery
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 x 400g tins)
- 2 x handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Curry leaves to serve
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, cumin, coriander and turmeric for about 3 minutes.
2. Add carrots, pumpkin & chickpeas and stir until combined with the spice mix. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and ½ cup water.
3. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes and then add zucchini & celery. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. Stir in garam masala, spinach and lemon juice.
5. Garnish with curry leaves to serve.