Winter is upon us and suddenly we are craving warming and filling foods. Better make them healthy! I made this one the other weekend in my slow cooker. But you can do it just as easily on the stove. If you are vegetarian this one can also be for you! Why not add some extra beans and veggies and omit the lean beef. Feel free to also experiment with your extras. I added some jalapeños to mine and next time I will definitely consider some salsa or avocado.
High in FIBRE with brown rice and many veggies. High in VITAMIN C with tomatoes to maintain a strong immunity. LOW GI to fill you up. And also this more than provides enough leftovers to save you time when things get busy. This recipe also tastes better with every passing day as the flavours mix and mingle more and more. DELICIOUS! 🙂
Ingredients (serves 8 – Plenty of leftovers!)
3 cloves garlic (minced or finely chopped)
1 brown onion (chopped)
1 red capsicum (chopped into small pieces)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 red chill
Black cracked pepper
750g lean mince
1 can kidney beans
400g tinned tomatoes
1/2 bunch fresh basil (finely chopped)
4xsmall wholemeal pita bread
Light sour cream (small tub)
Reduced fat cheese (25% Bega)
1. Add olive oil, garlic, onion and capsicum to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until brown
2. Add in lean beef mince and cook until brown
3. Add tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, cumin and chili. Keep on a medium heat until completely mixed and food is warm.
4. Leave to simmer and steam with the lid on for 30mins with reduced heat
5. Whilst this is simmering add a cup of brown rice with 2.5 cups of water to a rice cooker or saucepan. Cook until almost all water is gone and then steam with the saucepan of the heat.
5. Add basil and pepper to season to the chill con carne mix
6. Cut up wholemeal pitas into 6 pieces per pita and place in the grill for 5-10 minutes. WATCH THIS CAREFULLY they seem to go from brown to black quite quickly from experience!
7. Serve: A good large spoon of brown rice, a good couple of large spoon of the chill con carne mixture onto a plate. Garnish with sour cream on top and a sprinkle of reduced fat cheese. Add pitas around the plate.
8. Enjoy and feel nourished!!