As well as being Australian I am a proud Austrian citizen with a father named Wolfgang and a heritage of growing up with the popular veal/chicken schnitzel at Oma and Opa’s place as a child. Hence the other day when reading over an extremely diligent client’s food diary I almost jumped in excitement when I saw quinoa schnitzel recorded! What a great way to make this staple and loved dish healthier. Quinoa being low GI was a great alternative to the typical breadcrumb experience. From there I also had another great client who mentioned instead of dipping the chicken in egg and milk mixture she used low fat greek yoghurt instead and it tasted delicious!
So here we go. Inspired by the people who make my day enjoyable, satisfying and a positive journey towards healthier living. Thank you.
½ cup uncooked quinoa
600g chicken breast
1 egg¼ cup milk
½ cup flour/almond meal**
Dash of parmesan cheese
Cracked black pepper
Olive or coconut oil**
** For the clients of mine who have a bit of an alternate healthy outlook and like to experiment with their cooking. You know who you are! 🙂
1. Cook quinoa, leave to cool
2. Tenderise chicken with mallet until thin
3. Beat egg and milk in a bowl, add a couple of shakes of parmesan
4. Cover one large plate entirely with flour. Cover another large plate entirely with cooked quinoa
5. Lie chicken onto plate of flour and cover both sides. Dust off any excess
6. Dip into egg and milk mixture
7. Press into quinoa (both sides)
8. Lie into pan of either olive or coconut oil and cook over medium heat until brown (flip/cook both sides)
9. Rest chicken on plate lined with kitchen towel to soak off any extra oil
10. Serve with Steamed or baked veggies or a scrumptious salad!