Prep: 30 mins
Makes: 15 small patties
Taste Rating: 10. This recipe is delicious!
Nutrition: Quinoa is gluten free, of a low glycaemic index (keeps you fuller for longer!) and a source of complete protein. This means it contains all 8 essential amino acids your body cannot synthesise itself. Protein helps support immunity, aids in hormone production and is the building blocks of healthy muscle. Quinoa is also full of fibre which is beneficial for healthy digestion and contains micronutrients manganese, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus.
- 2 cups quinoa uncooked (Mixed colour quinoa best)
- 500g chopped and steamed butternut pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 bunch chopped parsley
- 1 can lentils (drained)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic diced (or ground with mortar and pestle)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry madras
- Black pepper
- Small whole grain rolls (as many as you need!)
- 1/2 bunch mint chopped finely
- 1 small tub greek low fat yoghurt (200g)
Mint Yoghurt Burger Trimmings
- Baby spinach leaves
- Sliced beetroot (canned, drained)
- Sliced tomato
1. Chop up pumpkin into small pieces and steam on stove or in microwave. When soft, mash.
2. Cook quinoa in saucepan (rice:water 1:2)
3. Add garlic, freshly squeezed lemon, curry powder, onion, lentils, chopped parsley, grated zucchini, eggs, quinoa, bread crumbs and pumpkin mash to large mixing bowl and combine. Add some cracked black pepper to further season. *For gluten free, omit breadcrumbs
4. Spray a frypan with some canola oil and slowly cook patties over medium heat
5. Toast burger buns in oven. Add mint yoghurt on bottom, patty and as many trimmings as you like.