This delicious winter warming vegetable lasagna was developed with my flat mate Anna-Louise Moule from Balanced Bodies Lifestyle Clinic, http://www.bblifestyleclinic.com.au/ Its mouthwatering success has meant that its been repeated many times.
- Packed with ripe tomatoes, super high in lycopene, an anti cancer compound and vitamin C
- Source of plant protein (chickpeas and almond meal) which are also consequently high in fibre-
- Source of calcium
Serves 8 People
- 3 x 400g eggplants, cut lengthways into 5mm thickness slices
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- 650g roma tomatoes
- 250g fresh buffalo mozzarella, shredded
- 2 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
Chunky Tomato Sauce:
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 1 tbs capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
- 650g roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Grease 3 baking trays and line with baking paper. Arrange eggplant in single layers across prepared trays. Combine oil and oregano in a bowl and burst over eggplant. Cover each tray of eggplant with a sheet of baking paper and roast for 40mins or until just cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. For the chunky tomato sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and capers, and cook, stirring for 3-4mins or until garlic and onion are light and golden. Add tomato and bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20mins or until tomato has broken down slight and sauce has reduced. Add fresh basil and stir.
3. Place almond meal in a shallow dish. Brush eggplant slices with a little of the chunky tomato sauce, then gently dip in almond meal.
4. To assemble lasagne, grease a 35cm, 1.5L ovenproof dish. Pour half the chickpeas over the base of the dish and then spread half the remaining tomato sauce into the prepared dish, then cover with half the zucchini and eggplant. Cover the zucchini and eggplant with the mozzarella cheese and spread over remaining tomato sauce. Top with remaining chickpeas, then layer zucchini and eggplant over.
5. Place a sheet of baking paper over lasagne, then enclose dish in foil. Bake for 45-60mins or until bubbling and tender when pierced with a knife. Increase oven to 220 degrees Celsius and remove foil and baking paper.
Serve with a healthy garden salad! ENJOY :)
Ash and Anna xx