On these balmy summer nights, we love having a fresh, simple and nutritious option for dinner. The recipe we are sharing with you today is one of our favourites – salmon, sweet potato and quinoa patties.
· 1 cup sweet potato, chopped (1cm x 1xm)
· 2x 415g salmon tins
· 1 cup quinoa, cooked
· 1 brown onion, diced
· 1/3 cup corriander, chopped
· 1 garlic clove, crushed
· 1 tbsp. lemon juice
· 2 eggs, beaten
· ¼ cup wholemeal flour
· 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Bring a medium saucepan to the boil. Add sweet potato and boil for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Drain and add to a large bowl.
2. Drain salmon and combine with sweet potato.
3. Add quinoa, onion, coriander and garlic into salmon and sweet potato mixture. Stir through using a spoon.
4. Add lemon juice and eggs to bowl. Mix well using a spoon.
5. Use hands to combine mixture and form medium sized patties. Lightly sprinkle patties with wholemeal flour.
6. Heat oil on medium heat in a large frying pan. Cook patties until lightly browned on both sides.
7. Serve with a side of salad and vegetables. ENJOY!
- Oily fish (e.g. salmon) and olive oil provide a wonderful source of omega-3 fatty acids. Research suggests that omega-3 is beneficial for heart health, and may help to reduce blood pressure, lower triglycerides and ease inflammation.
- Fibre aids in digestion, supports gut health, promotes a healthy immune system and works to lower cholesterol. The vegetables, quinoa and sweet potato in this dish are an excellent source of fibre.
- Low GI carbohydrates are excellent for providing a slow release of sugar into the blood, which assists in stabilising blood sugar levels. They keep you feeling fuller for longer and have also been shown to assist in weight loss or maintenance. The sweet potato and quinoa are wonderful sources of low GI carbohydrates.
- Protein is important in the body for repairing and rebuilding tissues, producing hormones and the transportation of molecules. Lean protein from the salmon and eggs will assist in maintaining these processes in the body and will also help to keep you feeling fuller for longer.