Zucchini & Lentil Fritters
We were inundated with requests for our recipe for these fritters after posting them on Instagram one morning. These fritters are wonderful because of their versatility, they can be made ahead of time and used for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even an afternoon snack. They are high in fibre, low in fat & packed with protein from the lentils, cottage cheese and eggs. Due to the dark green broccoli florets and zucchinis they are also rich in vitamin C (for fighting off disease) and vitamin K (helps clot your blood & protect bone health). We love these guys and hope you will too!
Makes: 12 fritters
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
• 1 broccoli head, florets chopped very finely
• 400g tin brown lentils, drained & rinsed
• 3 medium zucchinis, grated & squeezed to remove excess water
• 2 eggs, whisked
• ¼ cup quinoa/besan or wholemeal flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
• 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
• Salt & Pepper
What to do:
1 Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2 Boil kettle, steam broccoli florets for 3 minutes until soft, drain and tip into large mixing bowl.
3 Mash together broccoli then add lentils, zucchini, eggs, flour, cheese and mint. Stir well to combine.
4 Season with a little salt & pepper
5 Form mixture into 12 even sized patties and place onto baking tray.
6 Bake for 25 -30 minutes until golden brown on the top.
Alternative cooking method:
1. Heat frying pan on medium and add 1-2 tsp olive oil.
2. Pan fry fritters in batches for 5 minutes either side.
3. Pat dry with paper towel to remove excess oil before serving.
- 3 fritters on a bed of baby spinach & dollop of natural/greek yoghurt or low fat cottage cheese