Winter is here and suddenly we are craving warming and filling foods. At Body Fusion, we love nothing more than a hearty soup to warm us up.
Why do we love this recipe?
- Fibre: The vegetables and barley in this soup provide a wonderful source of fibre. Fibre encourages the ‘good’ bacteria to flourish in the gut, aids in digestion and promotes a healthy immune system.
- Garlic: Did you know that garlic can boost your immunity? Garlic works by multiplying infection fighting blood cells and stimulating the lymphatic system to protect cells and remove waste from the body. This is just what you need during the winter flu season!
- Low glycaemic index (GI) carbohydrates: In the body, low GI carbohydrates are broken down slowly, causing a gentle and steady rise and fall in blood sugar levels. These carbohydrates help to stabilise blood sugar levels and will keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
- Save some for later: This soup keeps wonderfully in the fridge or can be frozen for later. Perfect for those cool winter nights!
Cooking time: 1 hour
· 1 tbls olive oil
· 300g skinless chicken breast, sliced
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 2 leeks
· 2 carrots
· ½ bunch celery
· 2 zucchinis, finely diced
· ½ cup barley, rinsed
· 2L salt reduced chicken stock
· 1 handful fresh parsley
· Baby spinach – to serve
1. Heat olive oil on medium in a large saucepan. Then add garlic, leeks, celery, carrot and zucchini and sauté for 8 minutes.
2. Add barley and stock to the pot and bring to the boil.
3. When it is bubbling vigorously, turn the heat to low and cook for 50 minutes with the lid on.
4. Serve with 1 handful of baby spinach and fresh parsley on top.
The Body Fusion Team